Bingo Players Union Announcements

:ymparty: BingoBilly.com Invites Players to Clean Up in the $2,000 Spring-Clean Your Budget Sweepstakes :ymparty:
Let's play BINGO

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: addiction or excuse
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:31 am 

So what do you all really think: do you think that someone who has an issue with gambling has an addiction or do you think that they just use this term as an excuse for behavior that they could ultimately control?

Post subject: Re: addiction or excuse
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:40 am 

Oh no I complteely get that it is an addiction. When you get to the point where you cannot live without something in your life then that is definitely an addiction. But the trick comes in because the only person who can curb that adidction is the player no one can do that for him or her. So the real question is how to break that cycle.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:48 pm 

Too true amyhop. Whether it is gambling, drinking, drugs, eating or smoking it is the person that has this bad habit that has to want to stop. My grandfather was addicted to alcohol all his life from the time he was 16 years old. He couldn't go a day without drinking a bottle of rye sometimes a 40 oz. bottle at that. The doctors told him he would kill his liver by the time he was 40 but that didn't stop him. Then when he was 60 he woke up one morning and said he was finished drinking and never touched another drop the rest of his life. No one ever knew what scared him that night but we are sure something did. The doctors told him to drink an ounce of alcohol a day because he had small veins in his legs that could not be operated on and gave him sooooo much pain. They wanted him to take alcohol to keep his blood thin but he absolutely refused. So once an addicted person decides they are finished with the addiction they will NEVER return to it but it has to be their decision first and foremost.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:11 am 

Spunky you are so right about addiction. Many people never realize that they have an addictive personality. I grew up in an alcoholic family. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins my Mom were all some form of alcoholic. Some were everyday, some were weekend alcoholics but only about 3 of them ever reached the point of realizing they had to stop and finally after many years did. I have a really hard time dealing with people who drink too much because of it and have a hard time being civil to them when they try to come over to talk to me. I just go cold all over and walk away. The three that quit heard it all for years but until they were ready themselves nothing changed. The same thing goes with gambling or any other addiction that's for sure. The only thing people who love them can do is give them all the information they can find on the subject and pray that it helps before they walk away.